The Responsible Fisheries Alliance is a group of like-minded organisations working together to ensure that healthy marine ecosystems underpin a robust seafood industry in southern Africa. Formed in 2009, the alliance members continue to contribute resources and time towards the sharing of information, positively affecting responsible fishing while influencing policy and fishery governance.
The RFA contributes to the achievement of the following strategic objectives:
- Promoting and implementing responsible fishing practices through the sharing of information, expertise and the development of competencies
- Influencing policy and fishery governance
- Developing skills of fishers and fishery managers to implement an Ecosystem Approach to Fisheries (EAF)
- Promoting and implementing independent high quality research on the EAF
- Effective engagement with market mechanisms (e.g. SASSI, MSC and retailers)
- Positioning responsible fisheries in the public space